Some of the benefits of drinking lemon water first thing in the morning are cleaning toxins in your body, boost the immune system, etc.
Lemon is a popular citrus very attractive to the eyes and used to garnish several foods and drinks.
The fad of taking lemon mixed with warm water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is all over the world and I think it is important we look into the benefits of lemon in our body.
When we sleep, a lot of hormones are released in the body.
Melatonin which controls the sleep pattern is released by the pineal gland.
Pituary gland releases body repairs and growth hormones
Anti-Duretic Hormone is released into the body by the brain to prevent bed wetting.
Small protein called Cytokines which helps the body fight inflammation, infection and trauma.
With all these going on in our bodies and a lot of chemical release, the best thing to do in the morning is to cleanse the organs that purifies the body of toxins and that is where lemon water comes it.
WHAT IS LEMON JUICE?
Lemon juice contains the following:
One lemon without the peel contains approximately: (1)
- 24 calories
- 7.8 grams carbohydrates
- 0.9 gram protein
- 0.3 gram fat
- 2.4 grams dietary fiber
- 44.5 milligrams vitamin C (74 percent DV)
- 116 milligrams potassium (3 percent DV)
- 0.5 milligram iron (3 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligram vitamin B6 (3 percent DV)
Additionally, lemons also contain a small amount of thiamin, folate, pantothenic acid, calcium, magnesium and copper.
BENEFITS OF DRINKING LEMON WATER
The following are the 19 benefits of taking lemon water:
- Cleanses the liver and kidney as a detoxifier.
The liver is one of the most active organs of the body when we sleep since a lot of chemicals and hormones are secreted so drinking lemon water in the morning will aid the flushing of these chemicals out of the body while the lemon help stimulate bile production.
- Boost of immune system by vitamin C.
- Vitamin C helps boost the immune system’
- Vitamin C is good for adrenals and helps reduce stress so you feel energised early in the morning..
- Healthy Weight.
German researchers found out that drinking water first thing in the morning increases the energy levels of the body and also increases body metabolism.
- Anti-bacterial properties which help in fighting infections
- Boosts moods and libido. 35% reduction in mood disturbances and increased oxytocin was noticed when adequate lemon is taken. 3,000mg a day intake is seen to increase libido by a study.
- help increase collagen production and improve skin health
- Helps maintain digestive system.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water also helps reduce joint and muscle pain.
- Lemon juice with warm water is also good for your dental health as it helps with toothache and prevents gingivitis.
- Vitamin C found in lemons may help reduce skin wrinkling, dry skin from aging, and damage from the sun.
- Its aids freshness of breath.
- Drinking lemon water not only gets you citrate, but also the water you need to help prevent or flush out kidney stones.
- Intake of Vitamin C helps in reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Vitamin C is an anti-oxidant reducing oxidative damage and free radicals in the body.
- The vitamin C in lemons can help enhance iron absorption to prevent conditions like iron-deficiency anemia.
- Improves eye sight preventing cataracts and muscular degeneration.
- Excellent source of potassium which is good for the heart and brain
In order to reap any health benefits of lemon water, you need drink it consistently, and you need more than just a single wedge of lemon in your mug.
It is preferable to use fresh lemons when you want to make lemon water than using the artificial lemon in a bottle.
8 ounces of warm or cold water is to be used with squeezed fresh lemon preferably using filtered water and organic lemons. This ensures a healthy drink
Infuse more flavour or add a health boost to lemon water by adding:
- a few springs of mint
- a teaspoon of maple syrup or raw honey
- a slice of fresh ginger
- a dash of cinnamon
- a sprinkle of turmeric
Adding slices of other fresh citrus fruits such as limes and oranges, or cucumber slices gives it another flavour. Make sure produce is washed well before slicing and using.
Make ice cubes out of lemon juice is interesting always. Drop a few lemon juice cubes into a glass of cold or hot water as needed.
You can start your morning with a mug of warm lemon water, and keep a pitcher of water infused with a few sliced lemons in your refrigerator to drink throughout the day.
Cleaning your system of toxin is a sure way of increasing your energy level, metabolism and a step to weight loss.
Warm lemon water is best because the body temperature when waking up should not be dropped suddenly by the intake of cold lemon water.