Running is not only the faster version of walking (walking: about 4km/h), but also much more intense and can burn significantly more calorie-per-minute than walking. This intensity makes it very effective for weight loss.
Running is a very simple mode of transport and probably one of the best forms of exercise.
The intensity can be increased further by choosing an appropriate pace for you, wearing less clothing or running uphill, which all make running more exhausting.
Running should only be started when the body has adjusted to walking and is in good physical shape. When you have reached this point, running will be a piece of cake and you can start to use it as a good form of exercise to lose weight.
how fast should i run as an overweight beginner?
It is easier to run when you have a specific goal in mind, such as burning a set amount of calories in a certain period or running a certain distance within a given time.
This makes running much more fun and motivating. We would advise you to become familiar with these basic terms:
Sprinting means moving forward at your top speed for a short period of time. Sprinting is an excellent exercise for weight loss purposes, but only should be attempted after you have first become accustomed to walking and running at a steady pace.
You can gradually increase the duration of your sprints over time.
Pace describes how many steps you take per minute. A healthy person’s step frequency while running is about 90 steps per minute.
If you are not in good physical shape, this number will be lower, but increasing it beyond your natural pace can lead to injury of the leg muscles and joints.
overweight running plan for beginners.
1. Running is not for everybody. People with joint problems should seek medical advice before starting to run. Also, people who have a family history of cardiovascular disease or diabetes might consider getting checked up by their doctor before making the decision to go jogging.
2. If you are already an overweight runner, try to find running shoes that fit properly. The wrong shoe will cause more pain than gain during your jogging sessions. Also, make sure that you watch your diet and eat “healthy” fat to provide the energy needed for the activity.
3. Make sure that someone else is with you when you start running. If the first time, the person is not fit enough to provide emergency help in case of a heart attack or any other medical problem!
4. The best way to be successful as an overweight runner is by starting small and building up your stamina gradually. Try jogging just 3 minutes the first day and increase the time by one minute every day.
5. You should be fit enough to run at least 5 minutes without stopping after a month or so. This is when you can start thinking about jogging for longer periods!
6. If you are overweight, the best time to run is in the morning before having breakfast. Afternoon is not much recommended either because after running, your body will need several hours before it can absorb its food properly again!
7. At first, try to jog for 5 minutes and then walk for 2-3 minutes during the whole running session. This will help you get used to the activity.
8. After a month, try jogging for 10 minutes and walk for 2-3 minutes during the whole session.
9 . After another month , try jogging 15 minutes with 2-3 minutes of walking mixed in between your running sessions! If this is not hard enough for you, gradually increase the running and walking times until you can finish a full 30 minutes of jogging without stopping! Advice: Start to mix in some light sprints after this point.
10. After another month , try doing your jogging 45 minutes with 5-6 minutes of walking mixed in between sessions! You might start to sweat by now, so make sure that you carry some water with you!
11. At this point, I would like to warn again against running in the afternoon because your body needs time to absorb its food properly after jogging;
12. Always try to avoid food 2-3 hours before taking a run and drink plenty of water during the activity.
13. If you feel pain, stop running and stretch or walk around until the pain is gone! Then, try again and see if it improves! Otherwise consult your doctor as soon as possible! Also do not forget to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day;
14. Remember that it is much better to jog for 10 minutes every day than to jog for 1 hour once a week! As long as you are following the tips above, you should be OK.
One of the best running plans for overweight beginners I have seen is runnersblueprint. Check it out and you will not regret this.
Benefits of running as an overweight beginner
Running is a very healthy activity that gives you plenty of benefits! As an overweight beginner, here are some benefits:
1. Running helps to keep your heart and lungs in perfect shape. This means better breathing capabilities as well as less chance for cardiovascular diseases;
2. Running will help you manage your weight by burning those extra calories. If you try other activities like swimming or cycling, it will help to make sure that you keep fit and healthy;
3. Running will also boost your mood and improve the quality of your sleep;
4. It is a great way to relieve stress and avoid getting into unhealthy addictions such as alcohol or drugs!
5. People who run regularly live longer than those who don’t;
6. Even if you do not manage to make it to the end of each jogging session, you will still enjoy some benefits such as better blood flow and less constipation. Remember to always listen to your body!
7. Finally, running is also a great way to socialize with other people because you will probably start training with your friends or family members!